Saturday, July 14, 2012

Creel to Mazatlan to Mexico city

The last two posts weren't real posts, just adding a few pictures. Since I wrote last (properly) we were still up the mountains in Chihuahua. So I guess I'll begin leaving Creel on La Chepe.

To begin with our train was about 45 minutes late arriving at/leaving creel. We made ourselves comfortable and away we went. Unfortunately the bad weather persisted throughout the train journey. We set off around midday and didn't arrive to Los Mochis until 23:00. The views were fantastic but the duration of the journey took from it over all I think. If you were to start in Los Mochis and do the trip in the other direction it would be more enjoyable. I don't think the photos I took did the views justice either but it was definitely worth seeing. By the time the train stopped we were tired and cranky and had to make or way to the bus station (which we thought we were to late for because of the train delays). We got this taxi with the craziest driver I've every had the luxury if meeting. He nearly cashed twice in the 10 minute drive from the train to the bus. Luckily we caught the last bus of the day.

Alas this bus didn't do anything for my faith in Mexican transport. The seats were ok but the air conditioning nearly cut me in half it was so cold. Isabel wrapped her head in my Irish flag to keep warm. This journey lasted a mere 7 hours and my throat was raw when we made it to Mazatlan.

Mazatlan is a nice town on the Pacific coast. It's not quite a beach resort town but it's not that far from being one either. We stayed in the old town which was a little more cultured than the high rise hotels at the other end of the town (it might be a city, I'll have to check). I added a few nice pics of the sunset from our balcony. Other than some gorgeous food and sitting around on the beach for two days we didn't get up to a whole lot more that I can report about. One thing of note was the taxis. They are small cars, open sided and are known as pulmonias because with the air blowing against you with the open sides you get pulmonia a sickness of the lungs. (I think I could have described that better but I'm tired).

Mazatlan paved the way for Mexico City or D.F. (pronounced de effay). D.F. stands for district federal. AeroMexico gave us premier class seats because Isabel signed up for the frequent flyer program. We think this is the reason we were upgraded but neither of us were complaining.

An excellent taxi service took us all the way to the girl's apartment. We got there at 15:30 approx and the traffic was pretty hectic. Note this wasn't rush hour.

I think I'll use this entry to tell you of Mexico city in general rather than everything we've done already, and use the following entry to cover what we've gotten up to.

We are staying with Isabel's friends Karina and Nicia (Niz-y-a) from back home in Juarez who now work in Mexico city. Today is Saturday and we got here on Tuesday after two days in Mazatlan just to bring you up to date.

Mexico City has a population of 21 million people or so. I was expecting mobs of people everywhere on the streets, constant traffic, packed subways etc. I was also expecting to be overwhelmed with the hustle and bustle as well. So far after five days I haven't. We have been based for the most part in the city center and central districts. I imagine the millions that make up the 21 million reside outside these areas. I think I found London to be busier when I was there. Here has massive wide streets through the middle of the city which alleviates the claustrophobic feeling large cities can give.

The area we are currently staying is the "trendy" area. There are countless numbers of bars, restaurants and cafés of all manners decorating every street. It also has two parks (that need a little extra grass). All in all this area seems to have a similar vibe to cities I've visited closer to home and think a lot of friends and acquaintances of mine would really like it here.

The main street runs below numerous high rise skyscrapers, all that seem relatively new, giving the city a real modern focal point. Maybe it was my ignorance but Mexico city is way nicer than I had imagined.

The people seem pretty nice. Other than the friends of friends that we've met I mean. They were also nice though. I stick out like a sore thumb being as pasty white as I am but I think people just notice me more. I have a memory of being starred at on the metro in Rome and in comparison that doesn't happen here even though I don't see a huge amount of white people per day (and that's even with us hitting all the tourist spots).

From what I've seen is that the majority of the people living here are Mexican or certainly Latin. Comparing Dublin you can see a huge mix of different races walking down O'Connell street. Mexico city is a hub city in this part of the world and I expected it to be more of a mixing pot. I don't know if it it's the district we are staying or if we just haven't happened across other communities. It's something I found surprising in a city of so many people.

There are stalls galore all over the city, selling everything and anything. In some sections you can find 20 or so street food vendors in a row along the street dealing in their famous Mexican street food. There is so much food available here it boggles the mind. Nicia bought a polystyrene cup of chicken feet with  spicy salsa from a guy on a bike yesterday, so hopefully that gives you a gauge of what is available.

Ok that's a little taste of Mexico city and brings us up to date. Mayela and Gizeh joined us here a few days back. That means I'm staying in a house full of girls... I'm being told we are going now so I'll update soon with what we've done in the city. I'll try get some more pictures up soon as well. No time to format or spell check
so please be patient until we get back later :)

3 comments:

  1. I'm loving this Mexican travel!!

    I have to admit that I didn't remember Mexico city to be as much fun, but also, last time I was here I has 10 or 11 years old...so I have enjoyed so much seeing so many typical and different things and trying all the food =D
    I think I have come to the conclusion that Mexican food is the best in the world ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the photos - is that the Mexican world wonder? Landscape is so different to what we are currently exploring! And salsa dancing... well that was unexpected :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nope thats not the mexican wonder. The wonder is closer to cancun and we will be hoping to see it in the next few weeks. We get back to ireland on the 8 Aug. Let me know what date you are about. I will drop you a mail or facebook message before then.

    ReplyDelete